The benefits if gaining a work experience placement, whether in a large dealership or a small workshop, is to gain an understanding of the world of work and let you find out how some of the skills and abilities learned at school can be applied in the real workplace.
Wherever your interest lies it is more than likely that there is a job suited to you within the retail motor industry. Based all over the country, every town will offer opportunities for employment because almost every town has garages selling, servicing, maintaining and repairing vehicles.
The best way to secure yourself work experience is to approach your local garages and dealerships, let them know your passion for the industry and your want to learn and gain experience.
By going on a work experience placement you will develop an understanding of:
- how a modern motor vehicle business works
- the world of work
- what skills, abilities and attitudes are required in the motor industry
- different jobs in the retail motor industry
The experience will also give you the opportunity to:
- put yourself forward to the business as a potential future employee
- make informed decisions about what type of career to follow
- link what you have learned in the classroom to the world of work
We have some great work experience tool kits available that we have put together with the support of Sytner Group, the aim is to ensure that the overall experience is worthwhile for everyone involved. You can access and download the toolkits from our Schools, Teachers and careers advisers resource pack.