Why choose an apprenticeship standard?
So you’ve heard about he new apprenticeship standards but what impact will they actually have on you? Well actually they may have quite a big impact but only in a good way, as the new Apprenticeship Standards (England only) have been developed by employer groups in the industry to show what an apprentice will be doing in their job role and the skills that will be required of them. The government have introduced the Apprenticeship Standards to give students more choice as well as giving employers an increased input into their future workforce. Typically an Apprenticeship Standard will focus on a number of gateways and an end-point assessment with an approved assessment organisation. See here for more information on the new Apprenticeship Standards.
WHAT CAN I STUDY?
- Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (Light Vehicle) Level 3 – Servicing and repairing light vehicles such as cars and vans, working on all the systems found in the vehicle
- Auto Care Technician Level 2 – Carrying out a range of services and repairs to cars, car derived vans and light goods vehicles
- Automotive Glazing Technician Level 3 – Repairing and replacing windscreens on vehicles
Heavy Vehicle, Bus and Coach
- Bus and Coach Engineering Technician Level 3 – Carrying out a range of engineering work on buses and coaches for bus and coach operators
- Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Level 3 – Inspecting and repairing a range of heavy vehicles (HVs) and trailers for dealerships, independent garages and franchise and large fleet operators
- Accident Repair Technician Level 3 – Mending damaged vehicles using a range of metalwork and finishing techniques
- Motorcycle Technician (repair and maintenance) L3
- Vehicle Damage Assessor L4
- Vehicle Damage Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) Technician L3
- Vehicle Damage Paint Technician L3
- Vehicle Damage Panel Technician L3
WHAT IS THE ENTRY CRITERIA?
There is no age limit to be on an Apprenticeship Standard and you will typically complete your apprenticeship within 3 years. You will either have a GCSE C in English and Math’s or be able to achieve Functional Skills Level 2 during your apprenticeship. You must also be:
- interested in the way vehicles operate with the potential to research, analyse and sole problems
- organised, methodical and pay attention to detail
- care about delivering excellent customer service both internally and externally to both colleagues and customers
- able to demonstrate general analytical and mechanical skills
- have the capacity for mechanical reasoning and good spatial awareness
WHO CAN HELP ME THROUGH MY APPRENTICESHIP?
These different people all have a part in you completing your Apprenticeship, find out how they will support you through and what role they will play in your success….
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
During your Apprenticeship there will be lots of opportunities to see how you are getting on using a number of different ways of assessing your skills, knowledge and practical abilities.
- Knowledge tests – to show your theoretical knowledge and skills
- Practical tests – to show your skills and abilities
- Behaviors assessment – an online tool that you complete yearly with your employer, mentor and training provider to see where your strengths are and where you what you will need support to develop in
- Professional discussion – a discussion with your mentor, training provider or employer to talk through and show your understanding of the work. You may talk through a problem that you have encountered, how you dealt with it, the steps you took and reflecting on what you learnt or what you could do differently next time.
- End point assessment – this will be held over 2 days with a number of practical tasks to complete in front of an impartial assessor
- Functional skills – this is English, Math’s and ICT at level 2 or above
- F-Gas qualification – you get a bonus qualification which allows you to work on stationary refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump systems
WHAT SUPPORT WILL I GET FROM THE IMI?
- You will get FREE IMI Student Membership while you are training www.student.theimi.org.uk with technical info, competitions, discounts and events IMI Student Membership is there to help you succeed!
- Plus when you complete your learning and pass your End Point Assessment with the IMI you will get another 12 months FREE IMI Registered Professional Membership to support you to remain in the sector and get your first promotion! www.theimi.org.uk/membership
FIND ME A JOB OR APPRENTICESHIP!
If this all sounds great and you want to apply for an apprenticeship now then find your dream job here:
Tell me more!
If you want more information then follow this link and click on the Apprenticeship Standards button to find out more http://www.autocity.org.uk/index.php/find-a-job-apprenticeship/