The automotive industry influences everyone, from delivering goods on time to commuters travelling to work and emergency services being able to respond to crises, the motor industry helps to keep the country moving. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
An apprenticeship is employment mixed with training that is linked to your job.
By taking an apprenticeship, you’ll gain a broad understanding of the industry you are working in as well as a qualification that employers will value.
You’ll learn on the job with your employer and off the job at college. Your college or trainer will work with you and your employer to agree a training plan that suits you both. Finally, you will be assessed at work to see what you've learnt.
As a guide, the duration of an apprenticeship is generally between 2 to 3 years. You will either be on a day release (4 days at work and 1 day at college a week) programme or block release (3 months at work and 1 week at college) programme.
- Apprenticeships are paid the National Minimum Wage for apprentices. This applies to all apprentices aged under 19 and apprentices aged 19 or over in the first year of their Apprenticeship.
- There are no set entry requirements for an apprenticeship but most colleges and training providers look for 5 x GCSE’s at grade C or above including Math’s and English.
- You can do an apprenticeship in most aspects of the industry from technical, body and paint and paint spraying to vehicle sales and customer service.
- Apprentices aged 16 to 18 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year will be paid £3.30 per hour
- nearly a third of graduates now earn less per hour than the average worker who has gone down the apprenticeship route
There are different levels of apprenticeship:
- Level 2: equivalent to GCSEs, A* to C grades or Scottish National 5
- Level 3: equivalent to A-Levels or Scottish Highers
- Level 4: equivalent to HNDs or foundation degrees
How to find an apprenticeship
There are a number of ways to search and apply for an apprenticeship, you can search on our dedicated automotive site, search on the National Apprenticeship Service, apply to a training provider, apply at college or apply directly through the manufactures careers web pages.
- IMI Auto Jobs
- National Apprenticeship Service
- For Manufacturing & Engineering visit SEMTA
- Employer Links
- Training Providers: Remit Skillnet Babcock
- Job Sites: Get My First Job and Automotive Industrial Partnership
Raising the age of participation
Pupils who now leave school following Year 11 in the summer of 2014 onwards must continue in education until the minimum of your 18th birthday. This does not mean young people must stay in school, you can choose from:
- Full time education at school
- Full time education at college
- An apprenticeship
- A traineeship
- Part time education or training combined with either 1) employment or self-employment for 20 hours or more a week 2) volunteering for 20 hours or more a week
Apprenticeships in the Retail Automotive Industry
Vehicle Body and Paint Apprenticeship
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: Mechanical & Electrical Trim Technician / Body Building Technician / Panel Technician / Paint Technician
- Advanced level apprenticeship: Senior Mechanical & Electrical Trim Technician / Senior Body Building Technician / Senior Panel Technician / Senior Paint Technician
Vehicle Parts Apprenticeships
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: Parts Sales Representatives / Parts Telesales Representative
- Advanced level apprenticeship: Vehicle Parts Adviser
Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Apprenticeships
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: Light Vehicle Service Technician / Heavy Vehicle Service Technician / Motorcycle Service Technician / Auto Electrical Technician / Mobile Electrical Installation Technician / Heavy Vehicle Trailer Technician / Lift Truck Technician
- Advanced level apprenticeship: Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician / Heavy Vehicle Diagnostic Technician / Motorcycle Diagnostic Technician / Auto Electrical Diagnostic Technician / Mobile Electrical Installation Diagnostic Technician / Lift Truck Diagnostic Technician
- Higher level apprenticeship: Master/Senior Technician / Workshop Controller
Vehicle Fitting Apprenticeship
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: Fast Fit Technician/Motor Vehicle Fitter / Tyre Technician
- Advanced level apprenticeship: Fast-Fit Operations
Vehicle Sales Apprenticeship
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: Sales Adviser
- Advanced level apprenticeship: Senior Sales Adviser
Business and Administration Apprenticeship
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: administrator/business support officer / office junior / receptionist / junior legal secretary / junior medical secretary / medical receptionist
- Advanced level apprenticeship: administration officer/executive / administration team leader/office supervisor / personal assistant / secretary / legal secretary / medical secretary
- Higher apprenticeship: office manager / administration team leader / personal assistant / business development executive
Customer Service Apprenticeship
- Intermediate Level Apprenticeship: Customer Service Trainee /Assistant/Representative/Agent
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship: Customer Relationship Manager/ Co-ordinator/Team Leader
- Intermediate level apprenticeship: accounts assistant / accounts clerk / cashier / credit control clerk / finance assistant / purchase ledger clerk / sales ledger clerk
- Advanced level apprenticeship: trainee accounting technician: assistant accountant
- Higher apprenticeship: accounts manager / accounting technician
Tools to help you decide on your next steps
- World of Work information on over 150 job roles within the nine subsectors CLICK HERE
- My Dream Job take the 10 question quiz to find out which job role you’re best suited to CLICK HERE
- Career Pathway Maps explore the different progression routes available in:
- Training Needs Review will assess your current qualifications and sills to any job role within the industry and identify potential skill gaps CLICK HERE
Get in touch
If you have any specific questions then please get in touch with our IMI Careers Team on email@example.com